These fritters are one of our favourite things to make! We usually make them for dinner and because they last so well, we make extra for lunches. Only a couple of simple ingredients and the toppings you can add are endless. Buckwheat is also a dream to cook with because it binds the ingredients together really well and makes flipping these fritters super easy!
Sweetcorn is rich in a number of nutrients including B vitamins, vitamin C, phosphorous, manganese and fibre. As expected with all these nutrients comes lots of health benefits. The fibre in corn supports digestive health and can promote the growth of friendly bacteria in the gut. These bacteria can then transform more fibre into short chain fatty acids which can protect against intestinal diseases including colon cancer. This fibre may also be the reason that consumption of corn is associated with better control of blood sugars in type 1 and type 2 diabetics. Corn is extremely rich in phytonutrients with carotenoids taking the main stage. These high levels of antioxidants protect cells against damage and can prevent against diseases including cancer and cardiovascular disease. One carotenoid found in very high levels in corn is zeaxanthin. Zeaxanthin has been associated with a protective effect against age related eye diseases such as macular degeneration.
- 500g corn kernels (~3 corn cobs)
- Handful of fresh coriander or parsley (finely chopped)
- 75g buckwheat flour
- ½ red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 red chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 egg
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
*Makes 8-10 fritters
**To top the fritters, we used avocado (with lemon juice), spring onions, pomegranate, dill and thinly sliced radish.
- Add ½ the corn to a food processor with the coriander, red onion, chilli, egg and salt/pepper. You can also use a stick blender for this.
- Blend the ingredients together.
- Then mix in the remaining corn, followed by the buckwheat flour.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little olive oil on a medium-high heat.
- Spoon the mixture onto the pan (~2-3 TBSP per fritter) and cook for about 90 seconds each side.
- Then add your favourite toppings!