There's nothing better than waking up to a homemade breakfast. We love granola because you can just have it with milk or use it to top things like smoothies or some yoghurt. And of course, we always pair it with some almond or peanut butter and berries. It's also great for an on the move brekkie - just pop it in a jar!
Oats are always a great way to start your day because they're full of fibre. Oats contain both soluble and insoluble fibre. The soluble type helps stabilise your cholesterol and blood glucose levels. While the insoluble type keeps everything moving through your digestive tract. Most people don't get enough fibre, so starting your day with this granola means you're off to a great start. We're always banging on about the health benefits of nuts. So many people shy away from them because they're high in fat but they're actually thought to increase fat burning. They're rich in B vitamins, antioxidants and omega-3. Plus eating them has been shown to considerably reduce your risk of developing diabetes and pancreatic cancer. So much awesomeness packed in a little bowl of granola!
- 200g oats (use certified gluten free oats if required)
- 3 TBSP coconut oil
- 2 TBSP nut butter of choice (we used cashew butter)
- 3 TBSP maple or honey
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- 50g cashew nuts
- 50g whole almonds
- 20g sunflower seeds
- 20g pumpkin seeds
- 20g flaked almonds
- 30g coconut flakes
- 40g sultanas or raisins
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Melt the coconut oil in a pot on a low heat.
- Stir in the nut butter, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- In a nutribullet or food processor, add the whole almonds and cashew nuts. Blend the nuts until you've got a combination of ground nuts and crunchy bits - about 20 seconds.
- Combine the blended nuts with the flaked almonds, seeds, coconut flakes, raisins and oats.
- Pour the coconut oil mixture over the oat mixture and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish - we prefer to use a ceramic dish because it's less likely to burn!
- Bake for 35-40 minutes - making sure to stir every 5-7 minutes.