Next time you're making pasta, why not sub the pasta for these zucchini ribbons. Or even use ½ pasta and ½ zucchini. This only takes 10 minutes to make and tastes so fresh and amazing. The thicker ribbons lasts much better than zoodles so keep a little aside at dinner and save it for your lunch the next day!
The bulk of zucchini’s nutrients is in its thin peel. Luckily this recipe makes the most of these benefits and includes the outer layer. Zucchini contains an important electrolyte called potassium. This counteracts the effects of sodium and helps to reduce your blood pressure. The fibre in zucchini aids your digestion and also reduces bile secretion, which reduces your risk of developing gallstones. Corn also contains lots of fibre and promotes the growth of gut friendly bacteria. This fibre may also be the reason why eating corn is associated with better control of blood sugars in type 1 and type 2 diabetics. Corn is extremely rich in phytonutrients with carotenoids taking the main stage. These high levels of antioxidants protect cells against damage and can prevent against diseases including cancer and cardiovascular disease. One carotenoid found in very high levels in corn is zeaxanthin. Zeaxanthin has been associated with a protective effect against age related eye diseases like macular degeneration. Not too bad for a cheap and quick delicious meal!
- 3 medium zucchini/courgette
- 1 corn cob (kernels cut off)
- 75g crumbly feta
- 3 TBSP pesto (make your own using ingredients below)
- 15g (1 cup) fresh basil leaves (plus a few extra leaves to mix through the salad)
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- handful pine nuts
- handful grated parmesan
- juice from ½ lemon
- ½ garlic glove
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 handfuls of pine nuts/pistachios/slivered almonds
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini lengthwise. Stop when you reach the seeds in the middle.
- Toss the zucchini ribbons in a bowl with the corn kernels.
- For the pesto, add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend.
- Add the pesto and nuts/seeds to the vegetables and mix.
- Top with the crumbled feta and a few torn basil leaves.