Smoothies are a great way to get in a heap of nutrients quickly. This is one of our favourite smoothie recipes because it actually keeps you feeling full and also because it tastes chocolatey!
A lot of people worry about eating too much fruit because it contains sugar. Firstly, this is natural sugar and because it’s also combined with lots of fibre, it means your blood sugars will rise much more steadily and keep you fuller for longer – unlike processed sugary snacks. Secondly, it’s not just empty calories so you’re getting a huge range of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and electrolytes. This is why it’s so important to see the whole picture and not just focus in on one single component. Plus when you combine smoothies with veggies, nuts and seeds you’re getting a more complete meal. In terms of how much fruit to use, if you wouldn’t eat that amount of it in its whole form, then you probably shouldn’t be drinking it.
- 2 frozen bananas
- ½ avocado
- 2.5 TBSP cacao powder
- 2 TBSP oats/quinoa flakes
- 2 TBSP almond or peanut butter
- 2 TBSP chia seeds
- ~175ml milk of choice (add more or less depending on the consistency you want)
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend for ~2 minutes until completely smooth.
- Add your favourite toppings!