Buckwheat is one of the most nutritious grains around and is the perfect substitute for refined white flour in pancakes. It also has the added bonus of being gluten-free for people needing to avoid this protein.
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 small egg*
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2/3 cup coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
*Vegan alternative - combine 1 TBSP ground flax with 2.5 TBSP water and leave to thicken for 5 minutes.
Makes 6-10 pancakes
- Combine all of your dry ingredients in one bowl and your wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk to form a smooth batter.
- Lightly coat a frying pan on a medium - high heat with coconut or olive oil.
- Add a small ladleful of batter to the frying pan and cook for ~45 seconds on each side. Buckwheat flour is very easy to work with so there shouldn't be any sticking and it also cooks very fast.
- Serve immediately with your favourite topping. We used coconut yoghurt, hazelnuts, cacao nibs and stewed strawberries.
- Despite its name, buckwheat is not related to wheat, instead it is closely related to rhubarb and is gluten-free.
- Great source of high quality, digestible protein.
- Contains a glycoside called rutin which strengthens capillary walls,improves circulation and lowers blood pressure.
- Very rich source of D-chiro-inisitol which is very beneficial for women suffering with PCOS. It has been shown to lower free and total testosterone, lower blood pressure, increase insulin sensitivity, and increase the frequency of ovulation.
- It provides prebiotic-like benefits.