If you ever have a chocolate craving these are the perfect fix! The sweet & salty combo is a crowd favourite - if you're willing to share!
To get the most benefits out of this sweet treat, choose chocolate with a high cocoa percentage. We usually opt for 85-90% but if you’re not a fan of the rich flavour, try starting at 50% or 70% and you’ll soon grow to love it. Chocolate is packed full of antioxidants meaning it fights off free radicals and lowers your risk of developing chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease. It’s also a great source of caffeine and theobromine so this treat is a perfect pick me up! Dates make the most amazing caramel when blended and the sweet flavour is all natural with no processed sugar needed! What’s even better is that dates are full of fibre and are even classes as a low GI food. So they're the perfect addition to treats like these to stop big spikes in your blood sugar levels.
- 16 pitted dates
- 300g dark chocolate (we use 85% cocoa solids)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 TBSP melted butter or ghee or coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
Makes 12 cups.
For the caramel:
- Soak the dates in boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Drain the dates and add to a food processor fitted with an ''S'' blade. You can also use a hand blender.
- Process the dates until you get a smooth texture.
- Add the melted butter/coconut oil, coconut milk, vanilla extract and salt and process until all the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Place the caramel in the fridge while preparing the chocolate cups.For the
For the chocolate cups:
- Break up the chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl.
- Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water (bain-marie) and allow the chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Using a silicone brush, paint the small bun cases with a thin layer of the melted chocolate and leave to set in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Add about 1/2 a tablespoon of the caramel mixture to each chocolate case.
- Spoon the remaining melted chocolate into each case - enough to cover the caramel.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt onto the chocolate caramel cups.
- Place in the fridge to set for 20 minutes