These energy balls are so delicious and easy to make. The blend of walnuts and cacao really makes these taste like brownies. Roll them in your favourite pantry ingredients for an extra nutritional boost!
This recipe shows you that just a couple of really simple pantry ingredients can make a really nutritious snack. Have you ever noticed that walnuts have a brain-like shape? Walnuts are loaded with omega-3, vitamin E, and a long list of antioxidants making them the perfect brain food. They're actually one of the best types of nuts you can eat for getting a high dose of antioxidants. In fact, they contain almost twice as many antioxidants as most other nuts. So you might just be able to say au revoir to chronic diseases, like type 2 diabetes and heart disease (sort of 😉). To finish off these already nutrient-packed balls, we've blended the walnuts with fibre-packed dates and mood-boosting cacao. Your productivity rates will be at an all time high!
- 150g walnuts (we roasted them first)
- 125g soft dates e.g. medjool
- 3 TBSP unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste/extract
- Soak the dates in a bowl of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, blend the roasted walnuts and they're almost like a flour.
- Drain the dates and add the the food processor and blend.
- Then add the cacao and vanilla to the food processor and blend until the mixture sticks together well. If it's not sticking well, add a little water.
- Roll the mixture into balls.
- Optional — roll the balls in some toppings like chia seeds, cacao nibs, desiccated coconut, cacao powder or blended goji berries.
- Store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge.