Smoothies are a great option for those who need a quick & easy breakfast. They are full of nutritious ingredients and can be whipped up in 2 minutes so there's no excuse not to start your day off right!
- 2 bananas (fresh or frozen, frozen banana will make it extra creamy!)
- 2 TBSP almond butter
- 300ml almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 dates if you want it sweeter
- 1-2 TBSP oats
*Makes 2 smoothies
- Add all ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth. Don't worry if you don't have a smoothie maker, a hand blender will work well for this too.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon on top if you're addicted like us!
*Tip* Add less milk and use frozen bananas to make a smoothie bowl. Top with your fave combo of nuts, seeds & fruits.
- Excellent source of potassium. A diet low in potassium is associated with an increased risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer and digestive issues. Potassium is an importantelectrolyte and helps keeps the body’s fluid in check which is why bananas are a popular snack for athletes.
- Great source of vitamin B6 which is important for the digestive, immune, nervous, muscular and cardiovascular system.
- Great source of a wide range of minerals; calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, zinc, copper and manganese.
- Great source of a number of B vitamins;
- Rich in folate which is vital for a healthy pregnancy.
- Rich in riboflavin which helps with red blood cell production, body growth and to process carbohydrates.
- Rich in niacin which is often used to improve cholesterol levels and lower cardiovascular risk.
- Rich in thiamin which helps the body to process carbohydrates and protein.
- Great source of unsaturated fats
- The high levels of unsaturated fats are great to help ease inflammation (great post exercise) and may also improve cholesterol levels.
- It might be an energy dense food but there is no need to avoid it.
- A review of 20 clinical trials showed no weight gain or even weight loss individuals consuming 1 -2 cups of nuts a day
- Possibly due to the amino acid arginine which may boost fat burning.
- Consuming nuts considerably reduces the risk of developing diabetes and pancreatic cancer.
- The essential oils found in the bark have many unique healing abilities that include anti-clotting, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties.
- Cinnamon also slows the rate at which the stomach empties after a meal, which reduces the rise in blood sugar levels and may also improve type 2 diabetics response to insulin.