Shortbread is such a simple and classic recipe. And it's surprisingly easy to recreate a healthier version. Topped with a little dark chocolate and crushed pistachios you won't want to miss this one!
If you've tried some of our other recipes then you know we love using ground almonds to make pastry & cookies. It works just like regular flour but has some nutritional advantages. It is rich in B vitamins, vitamin E, calcium and iron which is excellent for vegetarians and vegans as not eating meat and dairy products may cause you to be lacking in some of these. We've also added some dark chocolate to the recipe, remember the darker the better (we usually use 85%). The darker the chocolate means there is less sugar and way more antioxidants helping you to fight off diseases. So treat yourself and get baking!
- 200g ground almonds
- 2 TBSP coconut oil (melted)
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 75g dark chocolate
- 50g pistachios
*Makes ~ 15 cookies
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix all of the ingredients together and mix well with a wooden spoon. The dough should come away from the bowl and stick together to form a large ball.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin and cut into fingers (we've also made these into regular cookies shapes)
- Bake for 8-10 mins or until golden brown.
- Once baked, leave to cool on a wire rack.
- While they are cooling, lightly blend the pistachios until they form a crumb like texture.
- Melt the dark chocolate over a bain-marie.
- Dip the cookies into the melted chocolate and sprinkle over the pistachio crumb.