With the sun finally starting to appear it's time for a sweet & tropical dessert. If you like the sound of a zesty, creamy filling encased in a deliciously chewy cup then you must give this a try.
You know you're going to feel good when you're eating a dessert that is made from fruit, nuts, coconut and avocado. It's full of monounsaturated fats (the healthy kind of fats), vitamins E, vitamin C, antioxidants & fibre. We have always known the importance of eating enough fruit & veg everyday but you might have recently heard that doubling our intake from 5 to 10 portions will lead to further health benefits and lower mortality rates. 10 portions might seem like a lot to some but it's all about being more aware of the amount you are currently consuming and trying to make changes to help increase it. What better way to do this than enjoying them in dessert!
- 200g almonds
- 100g dates
- 1 TBSP maple syrup/honey
- 2 TBSP desiccated coconut
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 can chilled coconut milk
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 TBSP honey/maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Desiccated coconut (to decorate)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the almonds on a baking tray and roast in the oven for ~10 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Add the almonds to the food processor and blend until it becomes a fine powder.
- Add the dates and desiccated coconut and blend until it moulds together. It will be a fine powder at first but when you keep blending the oils will release from the nuts and hold it together.
- Press the mixture into a muffin tin. Leave to chill in the fridge.
- When the coconut milk is chilled, scoop out the cream (hard layer on top) and add to the a food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Scoop the mixture into the tarts.
- Sprinkle with desiccated coconut.