We love to make big batches of energy balls as they're the best on the go snacks. They're so easy to make and you can change up the flavours every time. Pecans and maple are a perfect combo when you're looking for a sweet & buttery treat.
Pecans are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids including oleic acid. Oleic acid and antioxidants found in pecans help to prevent coronary artery disease and stroke. You often hear about the Mediterranean diet being good for your heart health and one reason is because it’s rich in monounsaturated acids like oleic acid and lots of antioxidants. One type of antioxidant found in pecans is viatmin E which is a powerful protector of our cells. It fights off free radicals that can damage our cells and cause diseases such as cancer. Now to talk about their mineral content! They are loaded with copper, manganese, phosphorous, and zinc. As well as having a decent amount of iron and magnesium. Minerals are very important as they play in role in a multitude of our processes in our body. Copper is needed for energy production in our cells, manganese is needed for our connective tissues and brain & nerve function, phosphorous makes up an an important part of our bones & teeth and zinc is required by over 300 enzymes to function correctly! It’s clear to see why nuts are recommended as a daily part of our diet!
- 125g pecans
- 75g dates
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 TBSP (~25g) milled linseed
- 30g dry oats
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the pecans on a baking tray and roast in the oven for roughly 5 minutes. Toss halfway through. You don't have to roast the pecans but we like the rich flavour it brings out. It can also make the blending step a bit quicker as the oils in the pecans have warmed up.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes before adding to a food processor. Blend the pecans until they become a fine powder.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until they form a dough-like texture.
- Using a spoon scoop out the mixture and roll the balls between your hands until they're an even round shape.
- Place on a tray and store in the fridge.