Paired with a coffee, these energy balls are just the thing to pull us out of bed for an early morning workout. These can be made in minutes and you only need four simple ingredients - perfect if you're caught for time or don't enjoy spending hours in the kitchen.
A simple recipe but still full of amazing health benefits. Cacao powder is rich in antioxidants. It's produced by cold-pressing the cocoa bean whereas cocoa powder is produced using high temperatures and can have a lot of sugar added. This is the reason we opt for pure cacao powder but if you can't get that then try for unsweetened cocoa powder. Cacao also contains a compound called theobromine which stimulates the release of endorphins, resulting in anti-depressant effect. No wonder chocolate can be so addictive!
- 150g almond butter
- 2.5 TBSP maple syrup/honey
- 1 TBSP cacao powder
- 2 TBSP cacao nibs
- Combine the almond butter and maple syrup in a mixing bowl.
- Add the cacao powder and mix well until evenly distributed.
- Add in the cacao nibs and mix.
- Then roll the mixture into balls - as big or small as you'd like.
- If you'd like, roll them in cacao powder, melted dark chocolate and sprinkle with cacao nibs.