We absolutely love the texture of oats so this bread is a favourite of ours. Plus we've added some nuts and seeds to give it a little crunch! This recipe only requires a couple of basic ingredients and is really simple to make. Our favourite way to eat this is to use it to soak up some soup, like our roasted squash & orange soup, or simply top with some raspberry chia jam & almond butter.
Oats, glorious oats, are a staple part of our diet - and for so many good reasons! Oats contain the two main types of fibre, soluble and insoluble fibre. One type of soluble fibre, beta-glucan, has lots of proven benefits - particularly when it comes to heart health. It helps improve cholesterol levels, blood sugar levels and boosts your body's immune response to infection. While the insoluble type keeps everything moving nicely through your digestive tract. Another staple in our diet is greek yoghurt. One of the things we love most about it is that it's full of probiotics (more than other types because it's more concentrated). Known as 'good bacteria', probiotics can help treat gut conditions, like IBS and antibiotic related diarrhoea. Plus they might even help with skin conditions, like eczema, and can help prevent colds and flus. We like to buy brands that have more than one probiotic strain.
- 400g oats (use certified gluten free oats if required)
- 450g full-fat greek yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 3 TBSP almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 120g combination of nuts/seeds (we used walnuts, hazelnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and chia seeds).
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a loaf tin with baking paper or rub with a little coconut oil.
- Combine the oats, nuts, seeds and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the yoghurt, egg and almond milk.
- Add the yoghurt mixture to the oats and stir through thoroughly.
- Place the dough into the loaf tin and if you'd like, sprinkle with some nuts/seeds.
- Bake in the oven for ~45-50 minutes.
- Place the tin on a wire tray and wait until it's completely cool before cutting.