Fitting in a healthy brekkie can be a challenge for some people. But with a recipe like this, you can have a nutritious breakfast that only takes 5 minutes to make ready for the week. Plus you can put it into mini jars and bring it with you on the go. You can also experiment with your favourite ingredients. We also love adding a little cacao powder and peanut butter when we want to switch things up!
Oats and chia seeds are always a great way to start your day because you're getting a really healthy dose of fibre. Just one serving of oats and chia seeds can provide you with up to 40% of your daily fibre needs. And you're also getting a good mixture of both soluble and insoluble fibre. The soluble type helps stabilise your cholesterol and blood glucose levels. While the insoluble type keeps everything moving through your digestive tract. The chia seeds also contain some unsaturated fats – in fact chia seeds are the highest vegetarian source of omega-3, which is needed to support a healthy heart. They're also rich in protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids. Now this is what you call a nutrient dense meal!
- 80g oats (use certified gluten free oats if required)
- 50g seeds
- 1 tin coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 3 TBSP coconut or greek yoghurt
- 2 TBSP maple syrup or honey
- 2 TBSP desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Raspberry chia jam:
- 50g raspberries
- 3/4 tsp warm water
- 3/4 TBSP chia seeds
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp maple/honey
*Makes 4-6 jars
- To make the chia jam, combine all ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously for about 1 minute.
- Leave the jam to set in the fridge.
- For the oat and chia pots, combine all of the ingredients in a kilner jar or sealed container and mix well.
- Leave to set in the fridge overnight.
- To serve, top the oats and chia pudding with the raspberry jam and some coconut flakes.