This has to be one of our favourite desserts, a rich chocolate cake filled with a gooey lava centre. You can make the batter in advance but cook just before serving so you can enjoy the chocolate molten centre.
This is a rich, indulgent dessert but as always you can enjoy it knowing some of the health benefits. The higher the cocoa solids in chocolate you choose, the better. That’s why we always use eat 85% – 90% cocoa solids and compare brands to find the one with the lowest amount of sugar. Dark chocolate is packed full of flavonoids. These antioxidants can help lower blood pressure and improve blood flow to the heart and brain. Studies have even shown that regular consumption can improve cognitive function and reduce the incidence of stroke. Dark chocolate is also rich in many minerals including iron, magnesium, copper and manganese. It’s also a great source of caffeine and theobromine so it’s the perfect way to boost your energy.
- 100g 85% dark chocolate
- 50g coconut oil
- 3 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 50g ground almonds
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Grease the ramekins with coconut oil/butter.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil over a bain-marie.
- Once melted, add in the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs before slowly whisking into the chocolate mixture.
- Finally mix in the baking powder, salt and ground almonds and whisk until it forms a smooth, glossy mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the ramekins and fill to about 3/4 of the way.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes. It should be baked on the outside but still soft & wobbly in the centre.
- Serve immediately as the cake will continue to cook out of the oven.