Soup is one of those dishes that instantly makes you feel better! It's such an easy way to get in a heap of nutrients and it only takes 30 minutes to make so it's perfect for when you need some comfort food quick.
The recipe is full of nutrients that will feel you leaving energised. Green vegetables are a good source of iron which is needed to make red blood cells and carry oxygen around your body. Iron deficiency anaemia is the most common nutrient deficiency in the world and can leave you feeling fatigued and with a weakened immune system. If you're a vegetarian/vegan then green veggies are your best friend and you should try and include a variety of them in your diet - it can be as simple as adding some spinach to a curry or sandwich. On top of this, broccoli is really rich in vitamin C, it even has more vitamin C than an orange! This can also help to strengthen your immune system and fight off colds & flus coming into winter. The cashew nuts, tahini and milk add a nice serving of protein to this meal and will help keep you full so it's the ultimate comfort food!
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 x brown onion (diced)
- 3 x garlic cloves (minced)
- 100g cashew nuts
- 1 medium-sized head of broccoli (cut into florets)
- 100g frozen peas
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1 TBSP tahini
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 250ml milk of choice (we used homemade cashew nut milk)
- salt & pepper to taste
*topped with toasted coconut flakes, pomegranate, yoghurt, crushed cashew nuts, seeds & dukkah
- On a medium heat, add the olive oil and onion to a large pot. Leave to sauté ~3-4 minutes.
- Next add the garlic and cashew nuts and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, peas, spinach and tahini and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, pepper and stock. You can use more or less stock depending on the consistency you want.
- Bring to the boil and then cover the soup with a lid. Reduce the heat and leave it to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and mix through.
- Blitz the soup until smooth with a hand blender or in a blender.
- To serve, add some of your favourite toppings - like coconut flakes, pomegranate, nuts and seeds.