This is one of our favourite brekkie's to make when we know we'll be in a rush in the morning. It's so simple to throw together and is the perfect base for lots of yummy seasonal fruits!
Bircher muesli dates back to the early 1900s when a Swedish doctor, Max Bircher-Benner, prescribed it to heal his patients. Along with lots of raw fruit & veggies too! He was definitely onto something, because this really is the perfect nutrient-packed meal to start your day. Oats and chia seeds are jam packed full of fibre. Just one serving of oats and chia seeds can provide you with up to 40% of your daily fibre needs. And you’re also getting a good mixture of both soluble and insoluble fibre. The soluble type helps stabilise your cholesterol and blood glucose levels. While the insoluble type keeps everything moving through your digestive tract. The chia seeds also contain some unsaturated fats – in fact chia seeds are the highest vegetarian source of omega-3, which is needed to support a healthy heart. They’re also rich in protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids.
- 100g oats (use certified gluten free oats if required)
- 1.5 TBSP chia seeds
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 2 TBSP greek/coconut yoghurt
- 2 TBSP honey/maple
- 350ml milk (we used macadamia - so creamy!)
- 1 apple (coarsely grated)
- pinch of cinnamon
- handful flaked almonds
- handful pumpkin seeds
*top with some nut butter and lots of fruit
- Combine the oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, coconut, almonds and seeds in a bowl.
- Next stir in the honey/maple and then the grated apple.
- Add the yoghurt and milk and mix well.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for several hours or overnight.