Just when we thought almond butter couldn't get any better! This is such a simple twist on regular nut butter and makes the most amazing pancake, banana bread, or porridge topping. Or if you're like us, you'll happily just eat this by the spoonful.
Nuts have an endless list of health benefits so they're a big staple in our pantry! Almonds are rich in minerals like magnesium, calcium, iron, copper, zinc and manganese. They’re also full of B vitamins which are essential for converting our food into fuel and giving us energy. Plus like all nuts they’re full of heart-healthy unsaturated fats. So even though they’re high in calories, eating nuts is linked with lower rates of heart disease and a smaller waistline! You'll see in most of our recipes that we always use 85-90% dark chocolate. This is because the high cocoa content is incredibly nutritious. That's right, chocolate can be good for you! ;) It's packed full of antioxidants meaning it fights off free radicals and lowers your risk of developing chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease. It’s also a great source of caffeine and theobromine so you'll definitely have a pep in your step after a spoonful or two!
- 250g almond butter (follow our homemade almond butter)
- 50g dark chocolate (85%)
- 2 TBSP coconut flakes (we like to use toasted flakes)
- 1 TBSP cacao powder
- 1 TBSP coconut sugar (use less or more if you'd like)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp coconut oil (melted)
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- Using a food processor, blend the almond butter with the coconut flakes, chia seeds, sea salt, coconut oil, coconut sugar and vanilla extract.
- Next add in half the cacao powder and blend. Then add the remaining cacao powder and blend.
- Add in the dark chocolate and blend again.
*You can also mix this all together by hand. Mix in the cacao powder more slowly and melt the dark chocolate before you add it in.