Creamy porridge with a hint of orange and cinnamon is the ultimate warming Winter brekkie. It's also topped with a seasonal cranberry sauce that can be whipped up in minutes. This will definitely get you in the Christmas spirit!
Oats are jam packed full of both soluble and insoluble fibre. Cranberries are also a great source of this complex carbohydrate. Fibre is vital for gut health and keeps everything moving through your digestive tract. It also slows down how quickly you digest food which means you stay fuller for longer and avoid nasty spikes in your blood sugar. Cranberries contain an exceptional amount of vitamin C — a powerful immune boosting antioxidant. Perfect timing since it's cold & flu season! And they're also thought to prevent urinary tract infections by stopping the bacteria that cause UTIs from sticking to the urinary tract walls. Not too shabby from a small and cheap berry! ;)
- 100g oats (use certified gluten free oats if required)
- 250ml milk of choice
- ½ red or green apple (grated)
- juice & zest of 1 orange
- ~4 handfuls of fresh cranberries
- 1½ TBSP honey/maple
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- handful roasted & crushed hazelnuts (optional)
- Add the washed cranberries, 1 TBSP of honey/maple and the juice and zest of ½ an orange to a pot on a medium heat.
- Stir well and leave to simmer for ~8-10 minutes.
- While the cranberry sauce is cooking, place the oats, milk, remaining orange juice and zest, honey/maple, cinnamon and grated apple to a pot over a medium heat.
- Mix together well and cook for ~6-8 minutes, stirring often.
- Add your porridge to a bowl and top with the cranberry jam and crushed hazelnuts (if using). You might also like to add a drizzle of honey or maple and a pinch of cinnamon.