With the cold & dark evenings creeping in, it's the perfect excuse for a warming mug of hot chocolate. Using dark chocolate, homemade nut milk, cinnamon and maca powder you'll definitely be left with a smile on your face!
Without compromising on taste, we've put a healthy spin on traditional hot chocolate. Dark chocolate is full of magnesium which helps you relax after a stressful day. It's also packed full of antioxidants which fight free radicals and protect your body from chronic diseases. And if you're feeling tired, maca powder is amazing at boosting your energy and might even increase your athletic performance — so it's probably best to avoid a lot of maca before bedtime! There's also quite a lot of research around the antidepressant effects of maca because it helps to balance your hormones. And because it's rich in potassium it has a positive effect on blood pressure. Cinnamon adds a great sweetness to this recipe and because it slows the rate at which the stomach empties after a meal, it stops your blood sugar levels rising too quickly — this can improve type 2 diabetics response to insulin. We can't think of a better way to relieve stress and boost your mood!
- 50g dark chocolate - chopped (we used 70%)
- 300ml milk of choice (we made homemade hazelnut milk for a Nutella inspired taste)
- 1 TBSP maca powder (optional)
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 TBSP coconut sugar or maple syrup (only if you want to sweeten it more)
- *serves 2
- Add the chocolate, maca powder, cinnamon, coconut sugar (if using) and milk to a saucepan on a medium heat.
- Using a whisk, keep stirring the mixture until the chocolate has dissolved — don't let the milk boil.
- Pour into mugs and add whatever toppings you'd like — we used whipped coconut cream, chocolate shavings & a pinch of cinnamon.