We can’t think of a better dessert to warm us up on these cold Winter nights! Traditional apple crumble is always a winner and is such a simple dessert to whip up. Top with some coconut cream or even some homemade vanilla ice-cream for an extra special treat.
‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away’! Apples are full of fibre, antioxidants, vitamins and potassium. Pectin is one type of fibre found in apples which is thought to lower your cholesterol. Plus oats are bursting with fibre so you’ve got one heart healthy and digestive friendly dessert! Apples also contain a whole range of antioxidants, like vitamin C and quercetin. These help your body to fight off free radicals which lowers your risk of developing a chronic disease. So we guess there’s a lot of truth behind that saying!
- 4 medium cooking apples
- 2 TBSP coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 75g oats (use certified gluten free oats if required)
- 75g ground almonds
- 30g melted coconut oil
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground ginger (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Peel the apples, remove the core and chop into chunks.
- Add the apples a large baking dish and sprinkle the fruit with the cinnamon and coconut sugar — the sugar starts to soften the fruit.
- To make the crumble, add the remaining ingredients to a mixing bowl and combine well.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the fruit.
- Bake the crumble until it’s golden brown — ~30 minutes.