We can't go a week without having some hummus. Bake some pita chips and throw a few ingredients into a food processor and you have the most yummy and nutritious afternoon snack. We love regular hummus but to change things up we've added some amazing curry spices and roasted veggies. We also topped this with some of our crispy roasted chickpeas — you can never have enough right?
For some people, getting 7 portions of veggies a day seems like a mammoth task! But once you have a few veggie-laden recipes up your sleeve we promise you you'll get there — and feel AMAZING for it! This hummus recipe is definitely one to add to your repertoire. With chickpeas being packed full of fibre, not to mention protein (ahem, yep you can get enough protein just from plants), your improving your gut health, blood sugars and cholesterol levels. Combine this with the beta-carotene packed carrots and you've also got a stronger immune system and night-vision! Pass the pita chips please!
- 300g carrots (skin on & chopped into small chunks)
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1 x 4oog tinned chickpeas (ideally, soaking your own is best but we're not always that organised)
- 3 TBSP water (or more to thin it out if needed)
- 3 tsp tahini
- 1 minced garlic glove
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- Handful of fresh coriander & toasted sesame seeds to top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Toss the carrots in 1 TBSP olive oil, spices and salt.
- Roast for ~20-25 minutes and leave to cool.
- Rinse the chickpeas under cold running water.
- Combine all the ingredients, except the water and olive oil in a food processor (you can also use a hand blender) and blend until combined.
- Then with the motor running, slowly add the water, followed by the oil and blend until smooth.
- Taste the hummus and season it more if required.
- To serve, drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of paprika, toasted sesame seeds and crispy spiced chickpeas.
- Place in a serving dish or store in an airtight container in the fridge.