Guacamole is a weekly staple of ours and we could eat it straight from the bowl — no chips required! This recipe has a little bit of a Middle Eastern spin to it and is so incredibly delicious.
Avocados are one of our favourite sources of fats. Fats really are an essential part of your diet so don't be afraid to eat them. You need fats for things like energy and nutrient absorption and they also help to reduce inflammation. But that doesn't mean you should go eating deep-fried foods and blocks of butter as your main source of fat (of course, a little is OK!)! Be mindful and choose healthy nutrient-rich sources of fats. That's exactly why we like avocados, as well as other plant based sources like nuts, seeds and olives. In addition to being high in mono-unsaturated fats, they're also rich in potassium (containing even more than a banana), both soluble and insoluble fibre, and antioxidants. We don't mean to brag about plant based foods, but they're pretty awesome!
- 2 hass avocados
- 1 green chilli (optional)
- 2 spring onions
- juice of ½ lemon
- juice of ½ lime
- 100g greek style feta (exclude for a vegan/dairy-free option)
- handful pistachios
- handful pumpkin seeds
- ½ tsp za'atar
- ½ tsp salt
- handful of mixed microgreens or fresh coriander
- Half the avocado and destone it. Scoop the flesh out into a bowl using a spoon.
- Add the chill, spring onions, lemon and lime juice to the bowl and mash with a fork. Keep it slightly chunky if you'd like or keep mashing until almost smooth.
- Add the za'atar, salt and 75g crumbled feta to the bowl and mix in well.
- Taste the guacamole and season with more lemon/lime juice and salt if required.
- Top with the remaining crumbled feta, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, a sprinkle of za'atar and the microgreens/coriander.
*For a vegan/dairy-free option, drizzle with a little tahini or use a nut-based crumbly vegan cheese)
**Best served immediately