This colourful dish is full of so many antioxidants. Tomatoes get their amazing colourful from the phytochemical lycopene. This is one seriously potent antioxidant with anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effects. It's been linked to a lower risk of stroke and might even help protect against osteoporosis. The yellow colour of corn is due to the beta cryptoxanthin (similar to beta carotene which is abundant in mango) which your body converts to vitamin A. Plus it's also full of memory-enhancing vitamin B1 and vision-boosting zeaxanthin. Throw in some fibre and vitamin C and we guess there's definitely a lot of evidence behind eating the rainbow!
- 1 mango
- 2 corn on the cobs
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- ½ red onion
- ½ red chilli
- juice of 1 lime
- juice of ½ lemon
- large handful of fresh coriander
- salt to taste
- Cut the kernels off the corn with a sharp knife.
- Then cut the soft mango into cubes — avoiding the hard core.
- Then cut the tomatoes in half and add to a bowl with the corn and mango.
- Next very finely dice the red onion and chilli and add to the bowl.
- Squeeze in the lemon and lime juice and mix well.
- Roughly chop the coriander and mix into the salad.
- Finally season with some salt.