If you need a meat-free alternative for a Sunday Roast try out a whole roasted cauliflower. This is just one of a hundred reasons why cauliflower is our favourite veggie.
Cauliflower has a long list of health benefits. It’s full of fibre so it's amazing for your digestive health. And it also contains sulfur-containing compounds called glucosinolates that help protect the lining of your stomach. Glucosinolates might also improve your cardiovascular health and boost your immune system. Cauli also has a ton of vitamin C — 1 cup of cauliflower has over 70% of your daily needs! To top it all off, cauliflower is rich in many other antioxidants like quercetin, beta-cryptoxanthin, beta-carotene and cinnamic acid. These antioxidants protect your cells from being damaged by free radicals and lower your risk of developing a chronic disease like cancer and arthritis.
- 1 cauliflower (small-medium)
- 3 TBSP tahini
- 1½ TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ TBSP ground cumin
- 1 TBSP za'atar
- ½ TBSP sumac
- ½ TBSP ground coriander
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
*If you're cooking for a small number of people you can also just roast half a cauliflower
- 4 TBSP tahini
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 TBSP maple syrup/honey
- 3 TBSP warm water
- pinch of salt
- handful of crushed pistachios
- handful of fresh coriander
- seeds from ½ pomegranate
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower and cut off enough of the stem so that the cauliflower can sit flat on a roasting tray.
- Combine the tahini, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and lemon in a bowl.
- Mince the garlic and add to the bowl.
- Stir in the cumin, coriander, za'atar, sumac and salt.
- Rub this paste all over the cauliflower.
- Wrap the cauliflower in tinfoil and roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes (the time varies on how big your cauliflower is).
- Remove the tinfoil and roast for another 30-35 minutes until a it's a deep golden brown colour.
- For the tahini topping, whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, maple, salt and warm water.
- Once the cauliflower is finished roasting, immediately pour on the tahini sauce and the remaining toppings.
- Serve immediately.