It’s officially Christmas and party season! We can’t pass up a glass of bubbly so it’s about time we shared this amazing champagne cocktail! The sweet & tart blackberry syrup makes that glass of bubbly that little bit more special, especially when you pop in some herbs & lime. You and your guests are going to have a very happy Christmas!
Alcohol certainly isn’t something to rave about health wise so we always try and include a few healthy natural ingredients when making our own cocktails. Fruit is a delicious way to bring a drink to life while also providing lots of vitamins and antioxidants, something you’ll need a lot of if you have one too many! Blackberries are actually one of the most antioxidant-rich fruits, this is what gives them their vibrant purple colour. Limes are rich in vitamin C which keep your immune system fight off all the nasty colds & flus around this time of year, definitely a good enough excuse to try one of these out.
- 250g blackberries
- 1 TBSP honey/maple (add less or more depending on how sweet you like it)
- 50ml water
- 1 bottle champagne or prosecco
- 3 limes (cut into ½ and then each ½ into 4 wedges)
- 2 handfuls of mint
- sprigs of thyme
*makes 6 cocktails
**for a mocktail version use sparkling water or non-alcoholic ginger beer
- Add the blackberries (saving a few for decoration), honey/maple and water into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and let it cool.
- Clap some mint together and then add to a glass with 4 lime wedges. Muddle (squish!) the lime and mint together using a muddle/rolling pin/pestle. Avoid using flutes because you need some room to muddle the mixture.
- Add 2 TBSP of the blackberry syrup to each glass, some ice and top with the champagne/prosecco.
- Pop a sprig of thyme into each glass and lastly some more blackberries to decorate.